Acupuncture for Stress, Anxiety & Depression
As the CDC tells us, everyone experiences stress at times. Stress can be beneficial. It can help people develop the skills they need to deal with possible threatening situations throughout life. However, when stress becomes your baseline state, it can have negative impacts on your emotional and physical health, and in many cases lead to anxiety and depression. Acupuncture and Chinese medicine can help you manage stress, anxiety and depression, and reduce their effects in a natural way.
Symptoms and Causes
We treat many symptoms associated with stress, anxiety, and depression:
- Low energy
- Headaches and jaw pain
- Upset stomach, including diarrhea, constipation, and nausea
- Aches, pains, and tense muscles
- Chest pain and rapid heartbeat
- Frequent colds and infections
- Feeling stuck in an emotional state
- Difficult relationships—be that family, social, or professional
- Hormonal imbalances
- Diet—lack of proper nutrition or overconsumption of certain types of food
- Overwork or underwork – both physical and mental
- Type, intensity, and frequency of exercise that is not suited for your current life phase
- No proper balance between rest and activity
- Exposure to environmental effects
- Air pollution
- Weather changes, seasonal fluctuations
- Electromagnetic fields
Our Approach to Treating Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
We treat a variety of mental-emotional conditions, including stress, anxiety, and depression by:
- Calming the central nervous system (CNS) by promoting relaxation
- Easing the CNS from the sympathetic or fight-or-flight mode into parasympathetic or rest-and-digest mode
- Benefiting the endocrine system to balance hormone levels and lower stress hormones in the bloodstream
- Enhancing sleep quality to allow the body to rejuvenate from everyday stressors
- Promoting smooth flow of qi or energy throughout the body to enable you to move through minor bumps along your daily life with a greater ease
- Balancing moods and allowing your heart to be able experience a healthy range of emotions without feeling stuck in any particular one
During your first patient visit, your acupuncturist conducts a thorough evaluation of your case based on reviewing your relevant health history and presenting signs and symptoms. Part of Traditional Chinese Medicine diagnosis involves pulse and tongue diagnosis. After this evaluation, your practitioner determines a treatment plan that will best suit your needs.
Often we recommend a series of 4 treatments within the first two weeks after which we reevaluate your progress and recommend weekly or biweekly treatments which eventually become monthly or seasonal tune-ups as needed. Herbal medicine and lifestyle recommendations are common parts of the treatment plan.
What’s Our Track Record?
In our experience after working with people for an average of a 3 month time period, they report a significant decrease in symptoms, but often notice relief starting from the very first treatment.
How Does It Work?
Curious about how a few little needles placed around your body ease you in a more balanced state?
Acupuncture calms down your nervous system, taking it out of the flight-or-fight mode we often operate under in our busy and stressful lives. Acupuncture optimizes heart rate variability, retraining your body and mind to be able to adapt to stress and regain balance at a greater ease. It encourages a smoother flow of qi or energy and blood so your body and mind feel calm, supported, and reconnected.
Herbal medicine works with your body to overcome imbalances, and restore the natural movement of qi (energy) in the body. There are many traditional Chinese herbal formulas designed to support emotional conditions. These are well suited for managing stress, anxiety, and depression, and they can be customized for your specific needs. Herbs work with your body to overcome symptoms over time and offer a gentle support with no danger of dependency or side effects.
Shiatsu is a gentle form of bodywork that facilitates deep relaxation, calms the nervous system, and increases smooth flow of qi and blood throughout the body’s meridian systems. Shiatsu sessions can help you get more in tune with your body energetically and feel more connected and grounded.
Holistic Health Counseling
Holistic Health Counseling allows extended time to go into greater depth on the connection between symptoms and lifestyle – this can help pinpoint crucial lifestyle changes needed to resolve any difficulties you are facing regarding emotional conditions such as stress, anxiety, and depression.
The Advantage of Using Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine as a Complement to (or instead of) Pharmaceuticals
The holistic nature of Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) allows us to get to the root cause of your condition. We work gently with your body to re-establish a more harmonious state in order to resolve symptoms as opposed to masking them. Both acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine have been used for centuries in the treatment of emotional health with great efficacy, safety, and virtually no side effects.
Treatments We Use to Help with Stress, Anxiety, and Depression
Verify Your Insurance Benefits
We are out-of-network providers with Blue Cross / Carefirst, Cigna, Aetna, and United. Many plans have good out-of-network acupuncture coverage. To find out if your plan includes out-of-network coverage for acupuncture, please fill out our short form to verify your benefits with us. You can also call us with your information at (202) 297-7404. Our staff will usually have your coverage information within 2 business days.
Clients Love Our