If you’ve had one, you know—a migraine is so much more than a headache. Patients with migraines often report that they get in the way of their day-to-day lives, forcing them to cancel plans, stay in bed and call in sick. Here’s how we help our clients–like the ones below–become migraine-free, naturally.
Most common migraine symptoms
Migraines are a collection of debilitating neurological symptoms that can last from 4-72 hours. If you have had migraines, you likely suffered one or more of these symptoms:
- throbbing/pulsating pain
- visual changes/blurred vision
- tingling/numbness in hands, feet, or face
Common causes of migraines
Migraines occur deep in the brain and involve nerve overactivity, inflammation and changes in blood flow, leading to an increased perception of pain. While the root cause of migraines is still unknown, research has shown us that there are some common triggers that precipitate these debilitating symptoms:
- Hormonal changes in women
- Foods and food additives
- Drinks (especially alcohol and caffeine)
- Sensory stimuli
- Changes in sleep-wake pattern
- Intense physical exertion
- Environmental changes
- Injury, including concussions
How we address migraines in a holistic way at Transformational Acupuncture
1. Identify the cause of your migraines
We’ll ask you questions centered around the common causes of migraines. Also, what makes it better and worse, what you’ve tried already, and any diagnoses you’ve gotten from your doctor or other practitioners.
2. Identify the location and nature of the pain (sharp, dull, burning, etc).
This is essential for helping us select your acupuncture points (link to How we select post).
3. Diagnose your condition from a Chinese Medicine perspective
This will help us discover key factors that may be playing a role in your condition.
4. Create a customized plan to treat your migraines
Based on the information from your new patient appointment, we will construct a treatment plan that is customized to your specific needs. One of the things we’re passionate about here at Transformational Acupuncture is helping you identify and address the root causes of your symptom, in addition to alleviating the symptom itself. This will give you the best chance of a long-term, sustainable recovery.
Here are the main strategies we suggest for a holistic approach to treating headaches and migraines
- Cupping, Cranialsacral Therapy, Gua Sha, Reflexology
- A customized Chinese Herbal Medicine formula
- A food sensitivity elimination diet (like Whole 30)
- Stretching routine that includes neck, back, and shoulders
- Desk ergonomics assessment
- MELT Method
- Posture correction through “Standing Meditation Qigong” exercises
- Stress and pain relief through mindfulness meditation and qigong exercises
- Breathing exercises to release muscle tension
- Proper hydration
- Reduction of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco use, when appropriate
We offer most of these services at the clinic, in our
- Herbal Medicine Consults
Some of these are treatments we’ll suggest you do at home. And when needed, we will collaborate with other practitioners and specialists to enhance your care.
What to do if you have migraines
Have insurance with Aetna, Cigna or BCBS/CareFirst?
If so, we are happy to check your policy to find out if you have acupuncture benefits. Once we find out, we’ll send you the details. Just fill out our brief online form: