Stress is perhaps the most common issue we see at our Washington DC acupuncture clinic. Not only is acupuncture amazing for stress, but we also help our clients deal with stress on multiple fronts, both on and off the acupuncture table. Read on to find out how.
Common causes of stress
- Let’s be real – stress can be caused by just about anything 🙂
- But if we were to elaborate on the most common causes:
- Dating and relationship issues
- Communication and interpersonal issues – with significant others, family, kids, friends, bosses, colleagues, etc, etc.
- Money issues
- Career and work issues
- Trauma, grief, and PTSD
- Health issues
- Lack of exercise
- Being an introvert in an extrovert’s world
- And, the list goes on…
How we address stress holistically
Identify the cause of your stress
We do so mainly by asking questions centered around the points listed above. Also, what makes it better and worse, what you’ve tried already, and any diagnoses you’ve gotten from your doctor or other practitioners.
Identify how and where the stress manifests in your body
This is essential for helping us select your acupuncture points.
Diagnose your condition from a Chinese Medicine perspective
This will help us discover key factors that may be playing a role in your condition.
Create a customized treatment plan for your stress
Based on the information from your new patient appointment, we will construct a treatment plan that is customized to your specific needs. One of the things we’re passionate about here at Transformational Acupuncture is helping you identify and address the root causes of your stress, in addition to alleviating the stress itself. This will give you the best chance of long-term, sustainable relief.
Here are the main strategies we suggest for a holistic approach to treating stress
- Acupuncture (here is an in-depth article on how acupuncture works to heal stress)
- Cupping, Cranialsacral Therapy, Reflexology, and Medical Qigong
- A customized Chinese Herbal Medicine formula
- Regular exercise and stretching
- A month of “clean eating” (like the Whole 30)
- MELT Method
- Mindfulness meditation and qigong exercises
- Breathing exercises
- Proper hydration
- Reduction of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco use, when appropriate
- Stress management techniques such as The Work of Byron Katie
- Time in nature (our favorite tension-free zone)
- Declutter and beautify home and workspaces
- Sleep more / more down time
- Take time off
- Reflection on life goals in career, relationship and other categories, how to achieve them, and what might be standing in the way (this is part of our Holistic Health Counseling service)
- And the list goes on…
Many of these approaches are offered as part of our
- Acupuncture sessions,
- Herbal Medicine Consults,
- Holistic Health Counseling,
- Private Qigong Training,
- and Complementary Therapy sessions.
Some of these are things we’ll suggest you do at home. And when needed, we will collaborate with other practitioners and specialists to enhance your care.
Schedule a Free Q&A consult or a first-time appointment
If you’d like to further discuss how we could help you, we encourage you to schedule a complimentary 15-minute Q&A session with one of our practitioners. These sessions can be scheduled online, to take place by phone or in-person at our clinic in Dupont Circle. Or if you’d like to schedule a first-time appointment, you can also do so online:
More on dealing with stress
Please contact us.